Lawrence Murphy

Lawrence Murphy

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Lawrence Murphy was born at Wedford, Ireland, in 1831. He moved to the United States and enlisted in the 5th Infantry. During the American Civil War he joined the Union Army and by the end of the conflict he had reached the rank of major.

In 1869 Murphy moved to Lincoln County where he established a firm called L. G. Murphy & Co. In 1874 he made a fellow soldier and Irish immigrant, James Dolan, a business partner. In 1874 the two men established the Murphy & Dolan mercantile and banking operation. John H. Riley, another Irish immigrant, also became a partner in this venture. The company was highly successful and won contracts to supply beef to both the Mescalero Apache Reservation and Fort Stanton.

Lawrence Murphy and his friends were disliked by the small farmers in Lincoln County as they were forced to pay high prices from Murphy & Dolan while at the same time they had to accept low prices for their cattle.

In 1876 Alexander McSween and John Tunstall set up a rival business. These two men were given the support of John Chisum, the owner of a large ranch and over 100,000 head of cattle. McSween and Tunstall now established J. H. Tunstall & Co, a shop and bank close to the one owned by Dolan, Murphy and Riley.

IIt is said that Dolan attempted to goad Tunstall into a gunfight. Tunstall refused to use violence himself but he did recruit Billy the Kid to help him in his business dispute. On 18th February, 1878, Tunstall was killed by William Morton, Jesse Evans and Tom Hill. This incident started what became known as the Lincoln County War.

Lawrence Murphy died of cancer on 20th October, 1878.

The (Slightly Scandalous) Way Murphy Beds Got Their Name

Chances are, you’ve seen one while visiting a friend’s apartment or maybe you even have one yourself. But either way, I’m willing to bet that no matter how familiar you are with Murphy beds, you don’t know the story behind how they got their name. And it might just might surprise you.

But let’s back up for a minute, shall we? The Murphy bed, in case you’re unfamiliar, is a bed that literally folds down from the wall—a clever little space-saving solution for anyone living in cramped quarters. Once you’re up and at ‘em, you can make your bed, lift it up by its pivoting metal frame, and tuck it away into the wall, where it can sit out of sight for the remainder of the day. The bed is often made to look as though it’s part of a bookcase or a large built-in armoire during the day, so it blends in with the room’s decor and guests are none the wiser.

Now, according to CBS News, the Murphy bed got its name from its inventor, William Lawrence Murphy, around the time it was created in the late 19th century. At the time, Murphy was a young man with a common problem facing urban-dwellers: He lived in a studio apartment, which meant the living room was the bedroom and the bedroom was the… well, you get the picture.

But social mores back then were a whole lot different than they are now. Women were prohibited from entering a man’s bedroom, which kind of put a crimp in Murphy’s dating life, since his entire apartment was basically his bedroom. That wasn’t about to deter him, though. Instead, Murphy designed a way to tuck his bed away in a closet, and poof!—there went his whole bedroom problem.

It’s a good thing, too as the story goes, Murphy designed the bed mostly so he could invite over a young opera singer he was courting.

“He was a tinkerer, inventor, and he came up with the idea, ‘If I could put the bed away then she can come into my living room,” Gene Kolakowski, who runs the Original Murphy Bed Company in Long Island, told CBS back in 2010.

That woman would later become his wife in 1900, according to More Space Place—the same year he filed a patent to launch his own business, the Murphy Bed Company. And the rest, as they say, is history.

According to the Smithsonian, the National Museum of American History’s Assistant Collections Manager Robyn J. Einhorn actually researched the history of the bed for her second master’s thesis, and found that its popularity came in large part from a “combination of good timing, a quality product, and an inventive marketing strategy.” Of course, a housing shortage at the time helped too, wrote Einhorn, as Americans were naturally moving into smaller living spaces.

Over the years, Murphy Beds have ebbed and flowed in popularity, but are now considered back in vogue especially for people living in smaller-than-normal apartments. They’ve often been called pull-out beds, hideaway beds, foldaway beds, or even wall beds. But in essence, they’re all the same thing: A Murphy Bed.

The next time you see one, I’m willing to bet you won’t forget the story behind its invention. Or the ingenious young man who just had to win the affections of the woman he loved—so much so, that he made his own bedroom disappear.

Who Was Murphy and Why Is There a Bed Named After Him?

The Murphy Bed, also known as a wall bed, fold down bed or pull down bed, is a bed that’s hinged at one end so it can be folded up and stored vertically against a wall or in a closet. It’s useful in situations where floor space is at a premium, like studio apartments, dorm rooms, mobile homes and cruise ship cabins.

The bed is named, no surprise, after a guy named Murphy—William L. Murphy.

These kinds of beds had already been around in other forms for a while. Thomas Jefferson had his beds in Monticello hanging on ropes and hooks in the alcoves of the bedrooms, and Leonard Bailey received the first patent for a folding bed in 1899. Murphy’s innovation was at the bed’s point of folding. Using an old closet doorjamb and some door hinges, he built a pivot that allowed the bed to attach to a wall and fold up against it for easy storage.

The son of a gold-seeking 49er, Murphy worked a few different jobs around California before he came up with his invention. He broke in horses for a while, drove a stagecoach, and even served as sheriff of a little pioneer town. At the turn of the 20th century, he made his way to San Francisco and rented a tiny one-room apartment on Bush Street, which inspired his leap into the bed business.

Know When to Fold 'Em

The Murphy Bed Company says that Murphy’s standard bed took up most of the apartment’s floor space, which made having company a little difficult. Murphy wanted to entertain his friends at his home, so he began toying around with the folding bed idea.

As Gene Kolakowski, an executive at the company, told CBS News, though, there’s an alternate origin story where Murphy’s incentive was much greater. The version that Murphy’s descendants like to tell is that he designed the folding bed because he wanted to have a certain young lady over to his place, but the moral standards of the time deemed it inappropriate to have a woman in his bedroom. Desperate for some quality courting time with the woman, Murphy was inspired to find a way to instantly turn his bedroom into a more innocent living room.

Murphy eventually married that same girl and used a loan from her father to patent the “Murphy In-A-Dor Bed” and start his own company to make them. That same company continues to make them today, almost 100 years later. The beds aren’t as popular as they once were, though. Demand peaked in the early 1900s as manufacturing became the focus of the American economy and people flocked to jobs in urban areas. Disaster in the bed’s hometown caused a spike in sales, too.

After the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 1906, the beds were placed in many new and rebuilt buildings to maximize space (according to Gladys Hansen, a curator at the Museum of the City of San Francisco, some of the beds already installed in the city folded up violently during the quake, injuring their occupants and killing at least one).

The Great Depression, the rationing of steel and other raw materials during WWII, and the post-war suburban housing boom all cut into the folding bed business, but the market is still big enough to support Murphy’s original company, plus a few competitors. In 1989 the courts ruled that the “Murphy bed” was no longer entitled to trademark protection because the public had come to see it as a generic term for beds that fold into walls, whether they were Murphy’s design or not.

3. He played a prominent role in a frontier feud.

Billy the Kid first earned his reputation as a gunslinger in 1878, when he participated in a bloody frontier war in Lincoln County, New Mexico. The conflict centered on a business rivalry between British-born rancher John Tunstall and a pair of Irish tycoons named James Dolan and Lawrence Murphy. Dolan and Murphy’s outfit—known as “The House”—had long held a monopoly over the dry goods and cattle trades in Lincoln County. When they tried to intimidate Tunstall’s upstart operation, the Englishman enlisted the Kid and several other gunmen to protect his property. The tensions finally boiled over in February 1878, when Tunstall was murdered by a posse organized by Sheriff William Brady, a supporter of The House.

Following Tunstall’s death, the Kid and several other former employees organized themselves into a vigilante group called “The Regulators” and swore revenge. In what became known as the “Lincoln County War,” the Regulators assassinated Sheriff Brady and spent the next several months shooting it out with The House’s forces. In July 1878, the feud reached its climax with a deadly, five-day firefight in the town of Lincoln, after which the Regulators disbanded and the two sides sealed a flimsy peace agreement. The Kid left the war with a reputation as one of the West’s most skilled gunmen, but he remained wanted for the murder of Sheriff Brady. He would spend the rest of his life on the run from the authorities.


Evening Tribune: One page of the newspaper with election results. Pictures of President -elect General Dwight D. Eisenhower Vice-President elect Senator Richard M. Nixon. Eisenhower defeated Governor Adlai Stevenson for the office of President of the USA. Also brief article about Hugh Gregg elected as the youngest governor elected in New Hampshire's's history. Many photos of the newspaper staffs working on election results.

publication place: Lawrence, Massachusetts

Legends of America

Lincoln County New Mexico Courthouse, 1930

The Lincoln County War was a conflict between rival cattle barons in 19th century New Mexico Territory.

In the early 1870s, two men by the names of Lawrence Murphy and James Dolan owned the only store in Lincoln County — Murphy & Dolan Mercantile and Banking. Soon, another man named John Riley also entered into the business. At the time, Lincoln County was the largest county in the nation, covering 1/5 of New Mexico territory. In addition to the store, Murphy & Dolan also owned large cattle ranches.

Having influential territorial ties to officials in Santa Fe, the merchants were able to obtain several lucrative contracts with the military at Fort Stanton.

Before long, Murphy & Dolan Mercantile and Banking monopolized the trade of the county, controlling pricing, making immense profits on their goods, and virtually having a hand in nearly every part of the economy of the large county. The merchants, along with their allies, which included local law enforcement, were familiarly known as “The House.”

For obvious reasons, Murphy and his allies were disliked by the small farmers and ranchers in Lincoln County as they were forced to pay high costs for their goods, while at the same time, accepting low prices for their cattle.

In 1877 Alexander McSween, a lawyer, and John Tunstall, a wealthy 24-year old English cattleman and banker, set up a rival business called H.H. Tunstall & Company near the one owned by Dolan, Murphy, and Riley.

Supporting them was a large ranch owner named John Chisum, who owned more than 100,000 head of cattle.

Furious at this development, Dolan attempted to goad Tunstall into a gunfight. However, Tunstall refused to use violence himself but soon recruited Billy the Kid, officially, as a “cattle guard.”

In February 1878, “The House” proprietors obtained a court order to seize some of Tunstall’s horses as payment for an outstanding debt. When Tunstall refused to surrender the horses, Lincoln County Sheriff, William Brady, formed a posse led by deputy William Morton to seize them. After protesting the presence of the posse on his land, Tunstall was shot in the head on February 18, 1878. This incident started what became known as the Lincoln County War.

Billy the Kid was deeply affected by the murder, claiming that Tunstall was one of the only men that treated him like he was “free-born and white.” After Tunstall’s funeral, Billy swore: “I’ll get every son-of-a-bitch who helped kill John if it’s the last thing I do.”

Adding fuel to the fire, it was rumored that Tunstall had been murdered on the orders of James Dolan and Lawrence Murphy

However, Billy would not be able to immediately exact his revenge as he, along with Fred Waite, were briefly jailed by Sheriff William Brady. After he was released, Billy soon joined a posse led by Dick Brewer, Tunstall’s Ranch Foreman, called the Regulators. The group’s primary aim was to hunt for Tunstall’s killer, William Morton.

On March 6, 1878, the Regulators tracked Morton in the countryside near the Rio Peñasco. After a five-mile running gunfight, Morton surrendered on the condition that his fellow deputy sheriff, Frank Baker, would be returned alive to Lincoln. However, on the third day of the journey back to Lincoln, March 9th, Billy and another Regulator killed the prisoners, along with one of their fellow Regulators that had tried to stop them.

Three weeks later Billy and several other Regulators holed up in Tunstall’s store while Sheriff William Brady was searching for the killers of his deputies. They ambushed the sheriff and his men on April 1, 1878, killing Sheriff Brady and mortally wounding one of his deputies.

The Murphy & Dolan Mercantile in Lincoln, New Mexico would later become the Lincoln County Courthouse

On July 19, 1878, McSween and his supporters, including Billy the Kid, were besieged by the new Sheriff, George Peppin, and a group of his men. McSween’s house was set on fire and several people were shot dead as they came out of the house, including an unarmed Alexander McSween.

In September 1878, President Rutherford B. Hayes removed New Mexico’s corrupt Governor Axtell from office and appointed Lew Wallace as New Mexico’s new governor.

At first, Governor Wallace felt that conditions in Lincoln County might call for martial law. The President, however, advised lawbreakers to return to peace. On November 13, 1878, Governor Wallace proclaimed an amnesty for all those involved in the Lincoln County War if they were not already under indictment This proclamation however, did not include Billy the Kid.

Officially, this ended the Lincoln County War, but not before nineteen people had been killed in the conflict.

Susan McSween, Alexander McSween’s widow, hired Huston Chapman as her attorney after her husband was killed. Chapman was murdered on February 18, 1879. James Dolan was accused of the murder but with the help of powerful friends, the case against him was dropped. Meanwhile, Dolan purchased the property previously owned by John Tunstall.

On December 15, 1880, Governor Wallace put a $500 reward on Billy the Kid’s head. On December 23rd he was captured by Pat Garrett but escaped in April 1881, killing two deputies in the process. On July 14, 1881, he was tracked again by Pat Garrett to Fort Sumner, New Mexico where he was shot and killed by Garrett.

John Lawrence & Margaret Murphy

Sally’s great-great-great-great-great-great Grandparents:

John Lawrence ca 1668 – 1739 | his parents
Margaret Murphy ca 1696 – 1750 | her parents
of Nansemond County, Virginia

This is my working hypothesis – the way I see it as of this moment!!

John Lawrence, son of John Lawrence and wife Mary , was born ca 1668.
He married Margaret Murphy daughter of William Murphy will 1721 and first wife Frances
[William Murphy’s 2nd wife was Sarah Holladay, daughter of Anthony Holladay, Burgess, 1693-95.]
John Lawrence was a vestryman at the Old Brick Church.
He signed his will 27 July 1730 in Newport Parish, Isle of Wight Co, Va
and it was probated 23 April 1739.

e-mail from Bascum Barry Hayes – John Lawrence (ca. 1664/65-1739), who married Margaret Murphry, daughter of William Murphry, Sr. and his first wife Frances, signed his will on 27 January 1738/39, witnessed by Robert Lawrence, Charles Council, and Thomas Brewer.
Charles Council was the son of Hardy Council and nephew of my ancestress Lucy Council Wooten.
This Thomas Brewer was evidently the brother of Julian, Patience, and Ann Brewer Godwin and thus the grandson of John Brewer whose widow married Colonel Anthony Holladay, father of Sarah Murphry, step mother of John Lawrence’s wife.
(Boddie, Seventeenth Century, pp. 227-229)

Children of John Lawrence and Margaret Murphy:
1. Sarah Lawrence ca 1715 –
married William Moore ca 1710 – 1771
2. John Lawrence ca 1719 – will 1772 Isle of Wight Co
married 9th day (of the sixth month) 1740 Martha Ricks
dau of Abraham Ricks
3. William Lawrence 1721 – 8 Sept 1756 Isle of Wight Co
married 1st 1739 Penelope Browne ca 1721 – 1739
dau of Dr Samuel Browne and Mary
married 2nd bef 1746 Sarah Applewhaite ca 1720-1762 IofW Co VA
4. Mary Lawrence ca 1727
married Robert Carr
5. Margaret Lawrence ca 1731
married 1st John Daughtry, son of William
married aft 1749 2nd Thomas Langford
6. Priscilla Lawrence ca 1735
7. Elizabeth Lawrence ca 1739

John Lawrence ca 1719 – 1772 | his parents
& 1740 Martha Ricks | her parents
of Isle of Wight VA

Children of John Lawrence & Martha Ricks:
1. Ricks Lawrence died 1798 Isle of Wight, VA
married 10 Apr 1788 Lilly Waddrop
dau of John Waddrop & Nancy Ann Cocke
married 16 Jan 1794 Rachel Wilkerson
2. Elizabeth Lawrence
married ? Pretlow
3. John Lawrence ca 1746 I of W co VA – 23 Oct 1796 NH co NC
married 20 Nov 1768 Rich Square Meeting House Mary Elizabeth Duke
dau of John Duke & Sarah Peele
4. Mary Lawrence
married Thomas Newby
5. Robert Lawrence
married Milicent Copeland

John Lawrence ca 1746 – 1796 | his parents
& 1768 Mary Elizabeth Duke | her parents
of Isle of Wight Co VA
& Northampton Co NC

John Lawrence ca 1746 I of W Co VA – 23 Oct 1796 NH Co NC
Col Isle of Wight militia – moved to Northampton County NC after the Rev. War.
per Jesse Lawrence, John is buried in Scotland Neck Cemetery
married 20 Nov 1768 Rich Square Meeting House Mary Elizabeth Duke
dau of John Duke & Sarah Peele

2 mi East of Rich Square on Aulander-Rich Square HW is of Georgian design,
built of Flemish bond brick with glazed headers and of clapboard,
and is of “T” shape with six large rooms.
William Maule is thought to have built the oldest section of frame in 1716.
The section of 1 1/2 stories, with a brick end, interior end-chimneys,
and blind end walls was built ca 1750 by John Duke.
The 3 story section with 3 floors including a full basement corresponds
architecturally to the original section
but all three sides are of brick mortised by oyster shells.
This section originally had a staircase enclosed in the chimney recess
that connected the three floors.
It is thought that the newer section was built in the 1770’s
as John Lawrence who married Mary Duke in 1768 had eleven children.
The house has arched windows and doorways.
Originally the house had a porch which faced south
onto the old Cornwallis Road, which no longer exists.
Now the rear of the house is seen from the highway.
The old cemetery is to the present rear of the house.
A walnut cabinet, the pine flooring, doors, and the fireplaces
– all in a good state of preservation– were sold in 1937.
The Duke-Lawrence land holdings have been estimated
to be about 6000 acres. It remained in the Lawrence family until 1847.
from “Footprints in Northampton”

view of house renovated by
Don and Joanne

1. John Lawrence 14 Sept 1771 – 28 Dec 1816 NH Co
married Pasq. 22 Jan 1797 Margaret Nixon 8 Oct 1775 – 1819
i. Ann N Lawrence 13 Nov 1797 –

married Jackson NC 4 Jan 1827 Jesse H Mooring d bef 1850
son of John Mooring & wife Gracey Llewellyn of Edgecombe Co NC
1. John Lawrence Mooring 1827 – 1861 Washington, Beaufort Co NC age 34
married Mary Elizabeth Blount
a. Mary Mooring ca 1851 –
b. Edwin Mooring ca 1852 –
c. Ella Mooring ca 1856 –
d. Kate Mooring ca 1858 –
2. Edwin Mooring
3. Jesse H Mooring ca 1832 –
4. Catherine Mooring ca 1834 –
5. William B Mooring ca 1838 –
ii. Mary Duke Lawrence 9 Feb 1800 – 26 March 1865 Maury Co TN
married ca 1817 Thomas Barrow d 1821
1. Thomas Barrow 21 Jan 1818 – 11 May 1890 Maury Co TN
6 children moved to TN about 1839
married ca 1843 Temperance Dorothy Dawson
27 March 1827 – 20 Feb 1905
2. Dr William L. Barrow 2 Sept 1820 – 22 April 1881 Jackson, NC 4 children
married 2 Oct 1841 Elizabeth Rebecca Calvert
31 Aug 1822 – 1901 Scotland Neck, NC
married 2nd Benjamin Jones 1779 – 11 Aug 1828 age 49 Scotland Neck NC
married Oct 1833 3rd Lemuel L Parker of Halifax Co ca 1801 –
iii. Margaret Lawrence 4 Mar 1802 –
iv. Martha Elizabeth Lawrence 29 June 1804 – dy
v. Rebecca John Lawrence 30 Oct 1806 – dy
vi. William Lawrence 28 Feb 1809 – 8 March 1809
vii. Catherine R Lawrence 3 March 1810 –
married Scotland Neck NC 20 Jan 1829 William Nickels b. Maine – d Marianna FL
1. William Ann [Willie] Nickels
married Edwin Mooring her first cousin
viii. Deborah Lawrence 13 July 1813 – 14 June 1821
2. Ricks Lawrence 26 Dec 1774 NH Co NC – 3 June 1824 NH Co NC
married 3 Nov 1803 Sabrina Toole Boddie 22 Feb 1787 – 6 Aug 1867
i. Maria Anne Caroline Boddie Lawrence 6 Sept 1804 NH Co NC – died in Watauga Co NC
married 25 Dec 1825 James Moore Granberry ca 1804 – Watauga Co

1. Joseph J Granberry ca 1825 – dy
ii. Matilda Ricks Lawrence 28 Jan 1806 NH Co NC –
married 23 Nov 1823 Lemuel Long ca 1806 – dy
iii. Jane Toole Lawrence 17 Mar 1809 – dy
married Simon Peter Frierson ca 1809 – dy
married 2nd Simon Peter Jordan 1794 – 1887

iv. Sabrina Toole Boddie Lawrence 26 Dec 1811 – aft 1891

thrown from a buggy and killed when in her 80’s
– one of the largest land and slave owners around Mt Pleasant TN
per local paper

married 26 Dec 1832 TN John Mourning Francis ca 1811 – dy
v. Martha Willie Lawrence 10 April 1814 NH – 1884 Mt Pleasant TN
married Benjamin Rush Harris 1801 – 1887 Mt Pleasant TN
vi. Willie Willis Lawrence 10 June 1817 – 6 Sept 1821 NC
vii. John David Lawrence 23 Aug 1819 – 2 Sept 1825 NC

3 Nancy [Ann] Lawrence 2 April 1777 – bef 21 May 1827
Reported at the Virginia Yearly Meeting, Society of Friends , May 21, 1827 “Ann Scott, deceased, of Nansemond Co., bequeathed to Yearly Meeting the sum of $1,000. The residuary legatees of this will were: Samuel Jones Thomas, Mary, and David Lawrence William I. , Joseph M., Catherine and Margaret I. Lewis.”
married 25 June 1794 Exum Scott ca 1775 –
4. Exum Hollimon Lawrence 5 Nov 1779 – 21 Jan 1815
5. David Lawrence 10 June 1782 – 16 Dec 1827
married June 1816 Sophia Pretlov
6. Jonathan Lawrence 10 June 1782 –
he is not who died in Bertie 1824]
on 21 May 1814 moved his membership to
the Western Branch Society of Friends

married Mary ca 1782 – dy
7. Mary [Polly] Lawrence ca 1785 – dy
8. Sarah Lawrence 18 Jan 1787 – 6 Jan 1826
left her estate to brother David

9. Thomas Duke Lawrence 21 Jan 1789 – 3 July 1863
married 1817
Mary Bailey Powell 1800 – 1854
Martha Lawrence 16 April 1791 – 1 June 1816
married a Randolph ca 1791 –
11. Josephus Duke William Lawrence 1793 – ca 1834
married 6 Jan 1831 Elizabeth R Powell
i. William Thomas Lawrence 23 Jan 1834 –

Sally Thank you for your prompt reply. As you so well state -“this is my working hypothesis -the way I see it at this moment”. This is my wife’s family and they knew nothing of the parents of her 2nd great-grandfather John Lawrence Mooring. We did know John Lawrence Mooring had died in 1861 in Washington, Beaufort County, North Carolina at age 34 and that his daughter Mary (my wife’s great-grandmother) had gone to Marianna, Jackson County, Florida at age 12 in 1864 to go to school and visit relatives. The one relative we knew she went to see was her Uncle William Nickels. In searching William Nickels, born in Maine, we found that he had married Catherine R Lawence on 20 Jan 1829 in Scotland Neck, Halifax County, NC. Then checking on Catherine, I found you site and that of Jesse Lawrence (I contact him, but he told me that he “out of business and everything he has is on the web”) and saw that Catherine had a sister Ann N Lawrence born in 1797. I then found that an Ann N Lawrence had married Jesse H Mooring on 04 Jan 1827 in Northampton County, NC.Then, I found an Ann N Mooring (52) in the 1850 Census of Pitt County with children Jesse H (17) Catherine (15) and William B (11).
Researchers in Pitt County had reported that her maiden name was Lawrence.
Then looking for them in 1860 – would you believe that I found this “Katherine” living with William Nickels in Marianna, Florida. Jesse H and William B were living together in Washington, Beaufort County, NC.and the home of Sarah Redding.John Lawrence Mooring was also in the 1860 Census in Washington, Beaufort County, North Carolina with his wife Mary Elizabeth Blount Mooring, and children Mary (8), Edwin (7) Ella (3) and Kate (2).
(Now feel certain that John Lawrence Mooring is the son of Ann Lawrence Mooring).Back to Marianna and I find that an Edwin Mooring
(now sure that he is John Lawrence’s brother)
is living in Marianna and has married William Ann “Willie” Nickels, the daughter of William Nickels and it is at “Uncle E’s” house that John Lawrence’s daughter Mary in staying in Sept 1864 during the Battle of Marianna. (We have a very descriptive article that Mary wrote about her experience at the Battle of Marianna in Sept 1864).
So I am now in the process of trying to document as much as I can of the above.
Sally, if you have any information in your files on any of those named above, I would appreciate you sharing with me or anything else on John Lawrence and Margaret Nixon – the parents of Ann N Lawrence and Catherine R Lawrence. Also, Jesse H Mooring, the husband of Ann Lawrence, was the son of John Mooring and Gracey Llewellyn Mooring of Edgecombe County, NC if you should happen to have anything on this family. Thomas Glascock, Greensboro, NC 16 May2009

William Lawrence 1721 – 1757 | his parents
& 1739 Penelope Browne ca 1721 – 1739 | her parents
& bef 1746 Sarah Applewhite ca 1720 – 1762 | her parents
of Isle of Wight Co VA

William Lawrence 1721 – 8 Sept 1756 Isle of Wight Co
married 1st 1739 Penelope Browne ca 1721 – 1739
dau of Dr Samuel Browne and Mary
married 2nd bef 1746 Sarah Applewhaite ca 1720-1762 IofW Co VA

Child of William Lawrence & unknown wife:
Will of William Lawrence, Newport Parrish, Isle of Wight Co, VA 8 Sept 1756 -p 2 June 1757
– daughter Penelope Lawrence , 2 slaves, bed quilt, large cedar table, side saddle, bridle, 1/4 of ¬£40 in William Scott’s hands
– John, son under age, Currawaugh land bought from Colonel Joseph Bridger (or else Bridger’s bond money if the title is not good), all land in Southampton County, 3 slaves, still, cap, and worm, bed, rug, 2 sheets, bedstead, riding horse, new bridle and saddle, case of pistols, sword, musket gun, 10 cattle, 2 sows with pigs
Рwife and executrix, Sarah, use of the Currawaugh plantation till John is of age, 7 slaves, chest of drawers, 6 chairs, 10 silver spoons , trunk, bed and furnishings, £20 in cash, horses, mares, saddles, bridles, and to divide the pewter and iron pots with John and Miles
Рdaughter, Molley Lawrence , 3 slaves, bed and furnishings, large ova l table, 1/4 of £40
Рdaughter Ann Lawrence 3 slaves, bed, rug, 2 sheets, stead, oval table, 1/2 of £40
Рdaughter Sally Lawrence , 3 slaves, bed, rug, 2 sheets, cedar table and 1/4 of £40
– son Miles Lawrence , under twenty-one years, home plantation after his mother’ s death, the James Baker land across the branch, 2 guns, 10 cattle, 2 sows with pigs
– friend Richard Baker to get money owed by Thomas Davis in North Carolina, and said money to go to John and Miles Lawrence
– brother-in-law and executor Arthur Applewhite.
Witnessed : John Darden, Jesse Watkins, and Joshua Council.
On 7 September 1758, the estate of the late William Lawrence was appraised by Daniel Herring,
Michael Eley, and Joshua Council.
William Lawrence lived in Newport Parish of Isle of Wight C ounty, Virginia, and deeded a slave to his sister Priscilla Lawrence, for love on 24 May 1739,
witnessed by Jeremiah Lawrence and John Lawrence.
On 7 October 1739, Dr. Samuel Brown’s will mentioned granddaughter Penelope, daughter of William and Penelope Lawrence.
On 27 July 1741, William Lawrence, Jeremiah Lawrence, and John Darden appraised the estate of Thomas Loyd, whose widow was Charity Loyd.
On 28 April 1742, William Lawrence, William Moore, and Jesse Brown appraised the property of John Daughtry.
On 24 March 1745, Charles and Ann Driver deeded to William Lawrence for ¬£5/5/0 Virginia money 150 acres north of Blackwater heired from Ann’s mother, Elizabeth Whitfield , who was a daughter of John Harris, adjoining James Baker and William Lawrence.
On 12 February 1746/7, James Baker, Gent., sold William Lawrence for ¬£35 current Virginia money 300 acres north of Main Blackwater which came from his father Henry Baker’s will in Nansemond County , adjoining Braswell’s branch, Robert Carr, John Lawrence, and William Lawrence.
On 12 February 1746/7, William Lawrence sold to John Lawrence for £17/10/0 current Virginia money, 150 acres of the James Baker tract, witnessed by John Eley.
On 5 October 1749, William Lawrence, John Lawrence, and William Edmons appraised the estate of William Brewer.
Child of William Lawrence & Penelope Browne:
1. Penelope Lawrence bef 26 Sept 1746 –
Children of William Lawrence & Sarah Applewhite:
will of Sarah Lawrence 6 October 1762, recorded 2 December 1762.
– Leg. son John
– son Mills
– daughter Mary
– daughter Ann
– to Thomas Lankford, Sr.
Ex. brother Arthur Applewhaite.
Wit:Thomas Lankford Hardy Lawrence, Jr and Sarah Lawrence.
1. Col. John Lawrence 1745 – Nov 1787 Isle of Wight Co, VA
married 13 Jan 1773 Mary Bridgers ca 1755 –
dau of Col. James Bridgers

Will of John Lawrence Isle of Wight Co VA Nov 1787 – pr 3 Jan 1788
– wife Mary
– son William land in Southampton County
– daughter Salley, one-half of the money due me from the estate of Benjamin Baker
– son John
– daughter Peggy
– brother Mills Lawrence.
Exs. Mary, brother Mills Lawrence and Elisha Lawrence Ballard.
Wit: none. Security: Joshua Council, Mills Eley .
The estate of Col. John Lawrence was appraised by Mills Eley, Wade Mountfore, and James Johnson, appraisal order on 21 January 1788, and recorded 2 December 1794.
The account of John Lawrence’s estate was examined by James Wills, Mills Eley, Joseph Duck, signed by Mills Lawrence and Elisha L. Ballard, and recorded on 3 December 1798.
John Lawrence, Esquire, was a Justice of Isle of Wight County 1766-1783, and sheriff in 1781.
On 7 August 1777, John Lawrence, Gent., and Justice, was ordered by the Court to administer the oaths in the district of which Mills Lawrence was the Captain of the Militia.
On 4 April 1782, John Lawrence “is hereby appointed to purchase a wagon and a team of four strong, able horses in good order for the use of the Contential Army agreeable to the act of the Genera l Assembly, in that case made and provided.”
On 6 July 1780, Colonel John Lawrence took the oath as Officer of the Militia in Isle o f Wight County, having been appointed 6 April. He had been a Captain as early as 5 November 1772.
AUTH Listed on DAR patriot index page 404
a. John Lawrence ca 1770 –
married 26 Dec 1791 Sarah Groce ca 1748 –
b. Salley Lawrence
c. William Lawrence ca 1772 I of W –
married Granville Co NC 21 Jan 1783 Margaret T Jones ca 1772 –
d. Peggy Lawrence ca 1776 I of W –
2. Mary [Molley] Lawrence ca 1749 – aft 1762
3. Ann Lawrence ca 1753 –
married Elisha Ballard ca 1748 –
4. Sallie Applewhaite Lawrence ca 1755 –
married Goodrich Wilson
5. Capt. Mills Lawrence ca 1750 -1816 dsp
( Capt of militia 5 June 1777)
married Elizabeth
a. Permelia Lawrence ca 1752 –
married 18 July 1795 Mills Darden ca 1752 – I of W
b. Mary Lawrence
married 1 Feb 1783 Joseph R Robertson
6. Lt. Elisha Lawrence ca 1751 –

William Murphy d. 1721 | his parents
& Frances | her parents
& Sarah Holladay | her parents
of Isle of Wight Co VA

This is my working hypothesis – the way I see it as of this moment!!

[William Murphy’s 2nd wife was Sarah Holladay, daughter of Anthony Holladay, Burgess, 1693-95.]

Children of William Murphy d 1721:
1. Margaret Murphy ca 1696 – 1750
married John Lawrence ca 1668 – 1739 Isle of Wight Co VA
2. Catherine Murphy
married Bryan
3. Elinor Murphy
married William Kirle d 1720
4. Michael Murphy/Murphry d 1747
a. Elizabeth Murphy
married Thomas Dixon Jr.
5. several sons

History of the Murphy Bed

The bed is named after William Lawrence Murphy (1876– May 23, 1957), who applied for his very first patent some time in the early 1900’s. History indicates that, he was trying to get the attention of an opera singer, but was living in a one room flat in San Francisco. At the time, it was considered immoral for a woman to enter a male’s bedroom. So the invention from Murphy changed his bedroom into a sitting room allowing him to have women visit there.

Before the time that fold-up beds had existed, and were sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. in their catalog, however Murphy had designs that got a series of patents. One was received for a “Disappearing Bed” on June 18, 1912 and another for a “Design for a Bed” on June 27, 1916.

Murphy beds are made use of for space-saving functions, much like trundle beds, and are popular where flooring location is restricted, such as small houses, home or condominiums, hotels, mobile homes and college dorm rooms. In the last few years, Murphy bed systems have really consisted of options such as lighting, storage cabinets, and work environment elements. They have actually seen a revival in appeal in the early 2010s due to the weak economy, with kids moving back in with their parents and homes choosing to renovate homes instead of acquiring bigger ones.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled that the term “Murphy Bed” had received such common use that it was no longer qualified for trademark defense.

Lawrence Murphy - History

On February 18, 2019 it will mark the 141st anniversary of the brutal murder of John Tunstall at the hands of the Lincoln, New Mexico deputies. It would spark what has been called the bloodiest extended gunfight of the Old West. Over the next several months and even years, men were gunned down and violent stand offs were the norm. Before it was over dozens were dead. When all the desert dust has settled one man had gained infamy as either a hero or a villain, depending on whose side you were on. His name was Henry McCarty, but be would become better know as Billy the Kid.

I first became interested in the Lincoln County War and Billy the Kid years ago when I went to the theater to see a movie called Young Guns. Though it is pretty loose with a lot of the facts, it did provide a very basic background to the story. The premise of a war over cattle rights remained intact. Though flawed it gave me enough incentive to seek out more information and to seek a more historically accurate account of the events that changed the great Southwest.

Who Was John Tunstall?

In the 1870’s the New Mexico Territory was primarily populated by Hispanics and Mescalero Apache. White Anglos, many from Ireland had been moving there in droves, and they were hungry for land in order to raise cattle and make some serious money.

John Tunstall

Two of those Irish Immigrants were Lawrence Murphy and James Dolan. They had both left the plague ridden land of Ireland in hopes of a better life in America. They held a huge monopoly on the industry for years. Their operation was run out of the largest building in Lincoln, known as “The House”. They hired a shrewd lawyer named Alexander McSween, whose spunky wife played an active role in his affairs. The House controlled everything in the county, including the politics. They also provided a nice sum of money to the local Sheriff William Brady to help sway the law into their favor whenever needed.

In 1876 a 23 year old englishman named John Tunstall arrived on the scene. He formed a business partnership with Alexander McSween, who had just left working for Murphy and Dolan. Together they sought to strike a deal with John Chism, who owned the biggest cattle ranch in the area. They opened a store across the street from The House and immediately began competing with the big boys.

Lawrence Murphy had become ill, so James Dolan took up most the day to day operations. Since Tunstall was making gains on The House and their control in the region, Dolan began using the law, and any other tactic to harass and bully Tunstall and McSween.

As time went on, the conflicts between the two businesses became more bitter and more confrontational. Dolan often used the law to back up his threats. Tunstall bagan to realize that a real danger was behind the competition. He started hiring young ranch hands who also happened to be quite good with the gun. The leader was Richard Brewer, a level headed man who had experience in dealing with cattle.

Tunstall Meets Billy the Kid

Tunstall also had to deal with the problem of cattle rustling. His business was still new enough that any loss of cattle was a real blow to his efforts to grow his company. In late 1877 a young rustler named William Bonney was arrested on his property. Instead of prosecuting him, Tunstall offered the teenager a job. That boy would later become known as “Billy the Kid”.

Billy was thankful for the opportunity that Tunstall had offered him. He grew to greatly respect the englishman. Finally, someone had given him a chance to straighten his life out and live a normal existence.

The only authenticated photo of Billy the Kid

John Tunstall also gained a lot from this relationship. He gained a devoted employee who truly valued loyalty and friendship. It also benefited immensely seeing how Billy regularly could be found target practicing with his six shooter. Tunstall hoped that the disputes between him and the House would eventually calm down, but he had surrounded himself with a group of very capable young men just in case.

Day of Reckoning

Lawsuits and land disputes and allegations had flown back and forth for months. Tunstall learned that the sheriff of Lincoln was calling for Tunstall’s arrest. On the morning of February 18, 1878, hoping to straighten things out peacefully, the englishman decided to ride into town and turn himself in, and then allow his lawyer McSween to get things worked out.

The ranch hands, including Billy and Dick Brewer, accompanied him on his ride towards Lincoln. As the party came around a hill they spotted some wild turkeys in the distance. The idea of having a nice dinner that night courtesy of a raucous hunting excursion likely sounded delightful for the men. They all took off around the hill after the turkeys. At that moments a group of deputies sent by Sheriff Brady stepped in front of Tunstall. Approaching them, thinking he could reason with them, Tunstall started to talk. They didn’t give him a chance to say anything. The deputies gunned him down in a spray of bullets.

Tunstall was dead before his body hit the ground. They then shot Tunstall’s horse. Just to be mean, or in attempt to be funny, they put Tunstall’s coat under the dead horses head and moved the body close to the horse to make it look like the two were napping.

Hearing shots, the ranch hands hurried back to find their employer murdered in cold blood. The deputies were gone. The young men brought Tunstall’s body into Lincoln to McSween. They vowed vengeance against the Murphy Dolan faction. Attempts were made to strip Sheriff Brady of his authority. A magistrate was able to deputize Brewer, Billy and the rest of the men as deputies in order to bring in those responsible for the murder, so they could stand trial. Calling themselves the Regulators, the men began scouring the mountainsides to issue the arrest warrants.

All Out War

The intention at first might have been to issue the arrest warrants legally, but it seems that idea fell away quite quickly. The Regulators probably knew that with the way Lincoln’s local government was set up, there was a small chance that the killers would actually be brought to justice. At some point, the jaunts to bring in the accused turned to an opportunity to bypass the courts. The Regulators decided to kill those involved instead of risking the plausible outcome. Once they did that, the legality of what they were doing was stripped They had elected to dole out their own brand of justice, and they had a new hit list…and the name on the top of that list was none other than Sheriff William Brady.

A bloody shootout at Blazer’s Mill left Buckshot Roberts, one of the men responsible for Tunstall’s murder, dead. Dick Brewer, the leader of the Regulators was also killed in that skirmish. The conflict was getting deadlier. The Regulators were now on a course they couldn’t reverse. On April 1, 1878 Sheriff William Brady and five of his deputies were walking along the main road in Lincoln. The Regulators were waiting behind an adobe wall. They opened fire, killing Brady instantly. The war had now gone to a new level with the assassination of a public official. Billy the Kid and the other Regulators were once again wanted men.

The Battle of Lincoln

Three months later violence would escalate again, and reach a turning point in the war. Following the murder of Sheriff Brady, the Regulators retreated to the hills. In an effort to return Alexander McSween to his home in Lincoln the Regulators sneaked into the McSween residence. Word spread fast. Within hours Billy and the others were trapped inside of the house, while McSween supporters hid in adjacent buildings. The other side of the street lined with supporters of the House, which included the new sheriff Peppin. There were periodic bursts of gunfire as the conflict stretched into four days.

The military, stationed about fifteen miles away at Fort Stanton, entered the town on the premise they were trying to keep the peace. In reality the leader Brigadier General Nathan Dudley was firmly on the Murphy/Dudley side. The army’s arrival severely tipped the scales in the direction of the House.

On July 19th the McSween house was set on fire. The group inside sent Susan McSween and all the other women and children out. McSween, Billy and several other Regulators remained inside. It was a slow moving fire since the home was built of adobe and burned very slowly. Still, the blaze moved from room to room, devouring the home as it went. Being the middle of summer and the temperatures were scalding, it became harder and harder to hold out. As the sun began to set, it looked like the inhabitants were going to have to try something.

The Rio Bonito River runs along the north end of Lincoln. Billy believed it would be their only chance at survival. Always a smart strategist, the Kid knew that they had an element of surprise, but they had to move fast. As the sky began to darken, he persuaded the others to follow him out the back and run straight for the river. He went first. His planned worked in that no one was expecting it. He and a few regulators made it to the river with a hail of gunfire eventually catching on. By the time McSween exited, the surprise element was over. He was surrounded in the back where he was shot down.

This drew the Battle of Lincoln to its close. The violence over the four days seemed to exhaust the town as things quieted for a time. The war would continue on for some time, but never as bloody as it had been.

Going Out with a Fizzle Rather Than a Bang

Billy and the Regulators would mostly go their separate ways, though he would continue riding with a few of them, but the band was done. Of course Billy would only gain in infamy. His exploits would continue and we would return to Lincoln on several occasions, but not by his own volition.

In a few months I will be traveling to the town of Lincoln, New Mexico, as well as several other Old West locales. I hope to blog about my trip and the places that are still there from this time. Lincoln itself has changed very little from the days of Billy the Kid. It essentially exists because of its legacy in the Lincoln County War.

I am writing this blog on February 14, 2019. In just four days it will be the 141st anniversary of the John Tunstall’s murder. It was this event more than any other that sparked the hatred and passions that led to the Lincoln County War.

The making of a management philosophy

From Murphy’s foreword to Berkshire Beyond Buffett:

We are both proponents of a decentralized management philosophy: of hiring key people carefully of pushing decisions down the organization and of setting overall principles and resisting temptation to be involved with details. In other words, don’t hire a dog and try to do the barking.

It’s the kind of homespun wisdom you can easily imagine coming out of Buffett’s own mouth. The two men met in 1969 through a business-school classmate of Murphy’s, nearly 20 years before they had a formal business relationship. Capital Cities at the time was a growing but still modest-sized media company.

When Murphy had joined it in 1954 at the age of 29, it was just a local TV station that a friend of his father’s had bought out of bankruptcy. Both Murphy and Burke, whom Murphy hired in 1961, were relatively untested.Murphy had graduated from Harvard Business School’s legendary class of 1949 his classmates would later become CEOs of Xerox, Bloomingdale’s, General Dynamics, and Johnson and Johnson (the latter being Jim Burke, who introduced Murphy to his brother Dan). He had worked for a few years in advertising and product management. But neither he nor Burke had a broadcast background.

From the beginning, though, Murphy was cost-conscious. Asked to repaint the old convent building the station was housed in to appeal to advertisers, he painted just the two road-facing walls. He kept a picture of the station throughout his career.

The two men tried to hire the best possible people, and not too many of them, prioritizing “brains over experience” TV wasn’t a high-tech business at the time. They gave young managers huge autonomy and gave them whole divisions to run once they showed promise. Burke and managers that followed him learned to stop sending weekly updates to headquarters because they wouldn’t get read. As long as stations were hitting their numbers and performed well over the long run, contact was limited.

Keeping control of costs, though, was essential, because revenue from TV stations is cyclical and lumpy, so low costs were the only way to consistently make money. In this effort, the budgeting process was ground zero. Burke and his CFO would go through operating budgets line by line with intense scrutiny on any capital expenditures, headcounts, and margins. Headquarters was run on a shoestring, with just 36 people when Capital Cities took over ABC. There was no PR department or mergers-and-acquisitions staff Murphy’s personal secretary handled press calls rather than paying someone else to do it. All this meant that Murphy’s stations had the highest margins in the business, north of 50% compared to an average of 30%.

Murphy tried to get Buffett to be a director at Capital Cities shortly after they met he went to Berkshire’s headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska, to try to convince him. Buffett declined because of the company’s high price-to-earnings multiple, but told Murphy to call any time he needed advice.

“From that day on, Warren was the best director I had even though, technically, he wasn’t directing,” Murphy said (pdf). He describes his many talks with Buffett over the years as “Acquisitions 101.”

Losses estimated in the hundreds of thousands

Mr Lawrence's legal team estimated lost earnings to be worth between $715,000 and $850,000, with an estimated $48,000–$58,000 submitted regarding lost superannuation.

Bettina Mangan, the barrister representing the Christian Brothers, has indicated she would argue for a lower amount.

Ms Mangan told the court Mr Lawrence would have had lower wage-earning capacity because of his poor upbringing, regardless of whether he was abused.

"It seems illogical and unfair," she conceded under questioning from Judge Mark Herron.

"The court can't escape from the fact he didn't come from well-off, middle-class [parents]," Ms Mangan said.

A sum of $111,000 already paid to Mr Lawrence by the Christian Brothers for his abuse would be deducted from any compensation payment determined by the court.

Watch the video: Michael Kerman introduces Lawrence Murphy


  1. Branden

    Excuse for that I interfere... I understand this question. Write here or in PM.

  2. Nemausus

    What words ... super, brilliant idea

  3. Honorato

    I confirm. This was and with me. We can communicate on this topic.

Write a message